Considered "the most beautiful avenue in the world", the Champs-Élysées extends for two kilometres between the Tuileries Garden and the Arc de Triomphe, and is 10 minutes on foot from the Hôtel Brighton.
Etymologically, the Champs-Élysées correspond to the part of Hell where charitable souls stayed. Today, the place is more associated with the paradise of tourists who walk up this axis from the Place de la Concorde to the Place Charles de Gaulle.
A major Parisian avenue near the Hôtel Brighton
Although the current Champs-Élysées avenue was originally impassable, it soon became an essential artery in Paris and the main axis of the west of the capital. It was André Le Nôtre who in 1667 drew the perspective of the Champs when he was commissioned to design the Tuileries Gardens. It was not until around 1830 that the architect Jacques Hittorff made the site habitable. Gardens and gas lamps were installed along this axis. Today, the Champs-Élysées is an unmissable tourist attraction. Numerous restaurants such as Fouquet's, luxury boutiques and clubs such as Le Lido line this famous avenue. The Ledoyen and Laurent restaurants, the last remaining period establishments, bear witness to the Hittorff era. Another point worth emphasising is that the Champs de Gaulle overlooks the Palais de la Découverte and the Grand and Petit Palais. Not to be missed: the highlights of the Champs, starting with the 14 July parade, the arrival of the Tour de France and the Christmas illuminations.
The Arc de Triomphe
This arch is located in the centre of the Place de l'Étoile, from which twelve avenues lead off, including the Champs-Élysées. From 1806 to 1836, the architect Jean-François Chalgrin built this monument at the request of the Emperor Napoleon, in honour of the Grande Armée and the victory of Austerlitz. Its dimensions are impressive: 50 metres high and 45 metres wide. One of the most famous sculptures in the monument is undoubtedly La Marseillaise by Rude. The arch is a symbol of national history. It has housed the tomb of the unknown soldier since 11 November 1920. In the basement, a museum recalls the construction of the arch, and at the top, a panoramic view will seduce the visitor.